Bristol Mayors & Sheriffs - a collection of historical data
Mayors/Sheriffs shown in CAPS have their own page - click on the Mayor's full name
Adams: Francis Adams (1806 - 1880) was President of the Grateful Society in 1859 and Mayor of Bristol in 1867 and 1868. For many years he lived at Crete Hill, Westbury-on-Trym and enjoyed hunting. He liked to ride on horseback to and from business each day and he needed a well built horse because Francis was well over 17 stone.
ASHMAN: Herbert Ashman - Mayor 1898, Lord Mayor 1899
BAKER: Arthur Baker - Sheriff 1891
BAKER: William Proctor Baker - Mayor 1871
Barker: According to Arrowsmith's Dictionary of Bristol (1884) there was a memorial to John Barker in St Werburgh's church - "an altar tomb with the figure of a civic dignitary, and an inscription above setting forth that he was Mayor and Alderman. Died 1607 (supposed)"
BARKER: William Robert Barker - Mayor 1892
Barnes: Thomas Barnes was born about 1826, he was a timber merchant and Mayor of Bristol in 1873. He was president of the Grateful Society in 1863 and Master of the Merchant Venturers in 1865. He lived at Woodside, Sneyd Park before moving to London and died on 11th April 1892.
Barrow: Robert Gay Barrow (1807 - 1880) was Mayor of Bristol in 1852. The local agent for the Sun Fire and Life Assurance Company, a Merchant Venturer he lived in Rodney Place, Clifton.
Bates: John Bates was born about 1801. He was Mayor of Bristol in 1859. He became General Manager of the West of England and South Wales Bank (in Corn Street) retiring from there in 1866. [This bank faced the Corn Exchange and in order to build it (Architect William Bruce Gingell and T.R. Lysaght), the old 'Bush Inn' was demolished in 1854. The bank failed in 1878 and the building became Lloyds bank]. He lived at 8 Royal York Crescent. He was president of the Grateful Society in 1856 and died on 2nd July 1869 - this was the result of an accident whilst out shooting.
BATTEN: Herbert Cary George Batten - Sheriff 1904 and 1907
BECHER: John Becher - Sheriff 1713, Mayor 1721
Bevan: William Bevan, sheriff in 1644/5 was made a Burgess on 13th August 1639 having been apprenticed to Andrew Charlton. He wsa a Merchant Venturer and served as Warden 1644/5.
Bengough: Born in 1739, Sheriff in 1789, Mayor in 1792. According to Arrowsmith's Dictionary of Bristol (1884) there is a memorial to Henry Bengough in St Mark's chapel indicating that he was an Alderman and died 10th April 1818 aged 80. A lot more information about him can be found at : http://www.bristolcharities.org.uk/history_charities_bengough.asp.
Bird: According to Arrowsmith's Dictionary of Bristol (1884) there is a memorial to Wm. Bird in St Mark's chapel - "Died Oct 8th 1590. Mayor of Bristol 1589"
Britton: George Bryant Britton was born in 1857. He founded the boot manufacturing business which bore his name and played an active part in the initiation of an electric tram service to Kingswood. He became a Bristol councillor in 1897, an alderman in 1921 and served as Lord Mayor in 1920. He was also Liberal MP for Bristol East from 1918 - 1922. He died on 11th July 1929.
Brown: Mrs Florence Mills Brown was the first female Lord Mayor of Bristol in 1963.
Bryant: Walter Bryant was associated in business with the quarrying industry and served as a Bristol councillor from 1921 he was Lord Mayor in 1929. He died on 9th November 1935 aged 61.
Butler: Lt. Col. Joseph Beaumont Butler served in the Boer war and was Sheriff in 1916 but he relinquished the post in order to take up military duties. He was the son of William Butler and director of Wm. Butler & Co. Ltd., of Silverthorne Lane and Crews Hole. He died on 30th April 1935.
Cann: Robert Cann was Sheriff 1651/2 and Mayor 1662/3 & 1675/6. He was Knighted in 1662 and an MP for Bristol 1678-80. He was the son of William Cann (see below) and made a Burgess on 5th December 1646. he married twice: 1st wife - Cicely, daughter of Humphrey Hooke (see also Henry Creswick below), 2nd wife - Ann, daughter of Sir Derrick Poppeley. He was a Merchant Venturer and served as Treasurer in 1654/4 and Master in 1658/9. See also: http://www.tibblestone.com/familytrees/cann/sir_robert_cann.htm
Cann: William Cann was Sheriff 1635/6 and Mayor 1648/9. He was a Merchant Venturer and served as Treasurer in 1641/2 and Master in 1645/6.
Canning: Thomas Canning was born in Devizes in about 1815. he was Mayor of Bristol in 1871. He died on 21st December 1888.
Canynges: Arrowsmiths Dictionary of Bristol (1884) gives the following information about the memorial to William Canynges (the second) in St Mary Redcilffe Church - "Under a conopied recess beneath the central window, an alter tomb supporting recumbent effigies of William Canynges and his wife. The inscription is as follows:- William Cannings, ye richest merchant of ye town of Bristow, afterwards chosen 5 times Mayor of ye said towne, for the good of the commonwealth of the same. He was in the order of the priesthood 7 years, and afterwards Dean of Westbury, and died the 7th Nov., 1474, which said William did build, within ye said town of Westbury, a college (with his Canons) and the said William did maintain by the space of 8 years 800 handy-craftsmen, besides carpenters and masons, every day 100 men. Besides King Edward the IVth had of ye said William 3,000 marks for his peace to be had in 2,470 tons of shipping. The follow the names, &c., of his ships and a metrical tribute to his memory. "
Castle: Adam Cottam Castle was a solicitor and a Bristol councillor from 1910 until 1929. He served as Sheriff in 1913 and died on 9th March 1934.
Cave: Sir Charles Daniel Cave was Sheriff in 1862 and President of the Dolphin Society in 1875. He was the younger son of Mr Danile cave of Cleve Hill, Downend and was a partner in the Old Bank. When his elder brother Sir Stephen cave MP died he took over the family's large estates in Gloucestershire and Devonshire (Sidbury Manor)
CLOSE: Admiral Francis Arden Close - Sheriff 1901
CLOTHIER: Frederick Francis Clothier - Lord Mayor 1930
COATES: Co. Charles Coates - Sheriff 1893
Coles: William Gale Coles (1821 - 1890) was Sheriff in 1867. For many years he was General Manager of Stuckey's Banking Co. and lived for the latter part of his life at Cleve Wood, Downend. He was President of the Dolphin Society in 1876.
Colston: Thomas Colston was the son of Richard Colton and made a Burgess on 28th October 1617. He was Sheriff in 1629/30. He was Treasurer of the Merchant Venturers in 1634/5 and Master in 16444/5
Cook: Sir Ernest Henry Cook (Dr., knighted in 1923) (1867-1945) was Lord Mayor in 1921. He is buried in Arnos Vale Cemetery.
Cowlin: Francis Nicholas Cowlin was Sheriff in 1921 and was knighted in the 'birthday honours' June 1935.
Creswick: Henry Creswick was Sheriff in 1643/4 and Mayor in 1660/1. He was Treasurer of the Merchant Venturers 1647/8 and Master 1660/62. He was the eldest son of Francis Creswick and apprenticed to Richard Long, a merchant, on 2nd February 1631, then made a Burgess on 14th August 1639. He was knighted in 1663. He married Elizabeth, daughter of Humphrey Hooke (see also Robert Cann). He had two sons: Francis & Humphrey and four daughters: Ann, Elizabeth, Hester & Florence. He was buried in St Werburgh's church as was is father Francis.
Croft: James Croft was Sheriff in 1650/51. he was the son of Sir John Croft of Aymesbury, Hereford and he was apprenticed to Richard Holworthy on 11th March 1621 then made a Burgess on 17th November 1631. he was Treasurer of the Merchant Venturers 1648/9 and Warden 1646/7.
DANIEL: Henry Daniel - Sheriff 1906
DAVIES: William Howell Davies - Mayor 1895
Deyos: Walter Deyos was Sheriff 1639/40 and Mayor 1655/6. He died in September 1658. He had been Treasurer of the Merchant Venturers 1644/5 and also Warden 1642/3. He was the son of William Deyos and apprenticed to George Knight, mercer, on 8th February 1609 then made a Burgess on 27th August 1621.
DOWLING: Alfred Dowling - Lord Mayor 1922
DYER: Edward Malachi Dyer - Lord Mayor 1926
EDWARDS: Sir George Edwards was one of the directors of the tobacco manufacturers Edwards Ringer & Bigg of Redcliffe Street and one of the founders of the Bristol Stock Exchange. He was Mayor on four occasions(1876,1877,1878 & 1886) and died on 18th March 1902
ELTON: Sir Abraham Elton 1st Baronet (1654 - 1727) Sheriff 1702, Mayor 1710
ELTON: Sir Abraham Elton 2nd Baronet (1679 - 1742) Sheriff 1710
Esterfield: According to Arrowsmith's Dictionary of Bristol (1884) there was a memorial to John Esterfield in St Peter's church:- "twice Mayor and Alderman. A brass was inserted in the stone but it has now disappeared".
Eyles: Walter Henry Eyles was a wholesale fruit merchant who became a Bristol councillor in 1919 and served as Lord Mayor in 1928/29. He died on 5th February 1931.
Farmer: According to Arrowsmith's Dictionary of Bristol (1884) there was a memorial brass to Thomas Farmer in Christchurch, north aisle 'Mayor and Alderman, died Nov. 1624 aged 83'. he was Sheriff in 1602 and Mayor in 1616.
FOX: Francis Frederick Fox - Sheriff 1894. He is buried in Arnos Vale Cemetery.
Frampton: Arrowsmith's Dictionary of Bristol (1884) mentions "Frampton W. founder of church and three times Mayor" - a memorial in St John's church. He was Mayor in 1357, 1365 and 1374.
Francombe: James T. Francombe was born in 1843. He was a schoolteacher and became headmaster of Redcliffe school. He was the Unionist party candidate for Bristol South in 1910 (he lost by 138 votes) and became a Bristol councillor in 1911. He became an alderman, JP and Served as Lord Mayor in 1919. He died on 11th September 1924
GARDNER: Charles Edward Ley Gardner was born in 1843. He was a wholesale grocer and a Wesleyan Methodist and in his early life he had been a captain in the volunteer Bristol Artillery. He was a member of the Bristol council from 1882 until 1929 and served as Lord Mayor in 1901. He died on 14th December 1932.
George: James George was born about 1789. he was a brewer - the brewery was in Bath Street. He was Sheriff in 1814 and 1819 and Mayor in 1822 and 1836 and Master of the Merchant Venturers in 1827. He died on 27th June 1858.
Gibbs: According to Arrowsmith's Dictionary of Bristol (1884) there is a memorial to James Gibbs in St Mark's Chapel " Mayor of Bristol 1842. He was a vitriol manufacturer, head of hte firm Gibbs, Ferris & Co., Chairman of Bristol & Exeter Railway Company, Chairman of Bristol & South Wales Union Railway and a Director of the Great Western Railway Company. Born about 1791, died Feb., 24th 1853 aged 63 years. He is buried in Arnos Vale Cemetery.
Goldney: Gabriel Goldney (1766 - 1837), Sheriff in 1822 and 1825 and Mayor in 1827.
Goldney: William Goldney was born about 1794, he was mayor in 1846, lived at 34 Cornwallis Crescent and died on 24th January 1850.
HABERFIELD: John Kerle Haberfield was born in 1783. He was six time Mayor of Bristol. As an early director of Bristol General Cemetery Company, he bought his own place in the crypt of the Anglican Chapel at Arnos Vale Cemetery. Unfortunately, due to vandalism the Chapel is now closed. According to Arrowsmith's Dictionary of Bristol (1884) there is also a marble bust of Sir John Kerle Haberfield in St Mark's chapel indicating that he died Dec. 27th 1857.
HARE: Charles Bowles Hare (1841 - 1911). He is buried at Arnos Vale Cemetery.
HARE: Sholto Vere Hare (1820 - 1900). - Mayor of Bristol in 1862.
Harvey: John Harvey (junior) was born on 15th September 1832 at Kidderminster. He was a wine merchant and chairman of Harvey & Sons, Denmark Street, from 1893 - 1900 having entered the business in 1846. He was Sheriff of Bristol in 1884, president of the Grateful Society in 1875 and died in June 1900.
Harrington: Arrowsmith's Dictionary of Bristol (1884) says that there was a memorial to George Harrington in St Peter's church: 'George Harrington, Mayor and Alderman of the City. Died Jan. 2nd 1639'. He was a brewer and Mayor of Bristol in 1617.
HAYES: Christopher Albert Hayes - Lord Mayor 1909 & 1910
Hayman: Sir William Hayman was Mayor of Bristol 1684/5 - Judge Jeffreys visited the city towards the end of his 'Bloody Assizes' and attacked prominent citizens for getting involved with the kidnapping trade (men, women and children were being kidnapped and sent as 'white slaves' to work in the new plantations of Virginia and the West Indies... supplementing those 'supplied' by magistrates who generously commuted hanging sentences to transportation). He briefly addressed the council and then turned on the Mayor, Sir William Hayman who was seated beside him and called him a kidnapping knave, he ordered him to leave the bench and stand at the bar with his fellow aldermen and they were charged with transporting a pickpocket to Jamaica. He fined the Mayor £1000 and turned him over as prisoner to his own Sheriffs, Giles Merricke and James Twyford, threatening to hang him but he spared him ' out of 'respect to the city'. All of thee aldermen were ordered to find two sureties of £5000 each to answer indictments in the King's bench division for kidnapping. They were never brought to trial and the charges were quashed three years later when they were given a general amnesty (this story was reported by Max Barnes and originally published in the Bristol Evening Post) .
Hellier: George Hellier was the son of George Hellier of Wickwar, a clothier. He was apprenticed to Richard Challoner, merchant, on 6th February 1611 then made a Burgess on 20th October 1621. He died 21st April 1656 and by his will, he left £20 to St Thomas's parish the profits of which were to be distributed among the poor and a further 10 shillings for a sermon to be preached yearly. He was Sheriff in 1638/9 and Mayor in 1653/4.
Highett: Dr. Charles Highett (1812-1896) was Mayor in 1891. He is buried in Arnos Vale Cemetery.
INSKIP: John Hampden Inskip (1880 -19xx) Lord Mayor in 1931.
Jackson: Joseph Jackson was the son of Miles Jackson (see below) to whom he was apprenticed on 26th October 1620, then he was made a Burgess on 1st July 1630. He owned property in Small Street and St Nicholas Street. He died on 5th January 1661 and left money to his four sisters and to his grandchildren in his will. He was Sheriff in 1642/3 and Mayor in 1651/2. he was also Master of the Merchant Venturers in 1647/8 and 1658/9. He was also MP for Bristol in 1659
Jackson: Miles Jackson was the son of another Miles Jackson 'gentleman', he was apprenticed to Thomas Davis, merchant on 25th March 1608 then made a Burgess on 22nd April 1615. It is reported that he lived in a house in Small street where Cromwell was entertained in 1649. He died in 1662 and in his will, left his garden in Temple Street, the profits from which to be distributed to the poor of St James parish. He was Sheriff in 1631/2 and Mayor 1649/50. He was also Master of the Merchant Venturers 1650/51 and MP for Bristol 1654/5.
JAMES: Sir Edward Burnet James (1857 - 1927) . Sheriff in 1900, Lord Mayor in 1904 and 1907.
James: According to Arrowsmith's Dictionary of Bristol (1884) there is a memorial to Thomas James in St Mark's Chapel: "Mayor 1605, and "Parliament Man" for Bristol in the reigns of Elizabeth and James I, died 1613". A Thomas James was also Mayor in 1614 - probably the same man perhaps the date of death is wrong?
JONES: John Averay Jones - Mayor 1875
JOSE: Thomas Porter Jose (1801 - 1875) - Mayor of Bristol in 1863.
KING: Richard Jenkins Poole King - Mayor 1844
Kitchen: According to Arrowsmith's Dictionary of Bristol (1884) there is a brass late over the vestry door of St Stephens church in memory of Robert Kitchen, Mayor, Sheriff and Alderman, Died on Sept. 5th 1594. He was born in Kendal, Westmoreland in 1531, Sheriff in 1572 and Mayor of Bristol in 1588. He donated one of the 'nails' outside of the corn exchange. A lot more information about him can be found at: http://www.bristolcharities.org.uk/history_charities_kitchin.asp
Knight: There was a memorial to Sir John Knight in Temple Church - in the north wall of the chancel there was a long Latin inscription to members of his family. (source Arrowsmith's Dictionary of Bristol 1884)
Lane: George Lane was Sheriff in 1651/2. He was also Warden of the Merchant Venturers in 1629/30 and Treasurer 1652/3. His father was also George Lane who was a merchant. he was made a Burgess on 2nd December 1626
Langton: William Henry Gore Langton (1802 - 1875) was Mayor of Bristol in 1851 and was also an MP for Bristol.
LANE: Odiarne Coates Lane (1793 - 1865) - Mayor in 1860.
LENNARD: Thomas Joseph Lennard - Sheriff 1912
LOWE: Charles James Lowe - Lord Mayor 1912
LUKE: Francis Crispin Luke - Lord Mayor 1933
MAGGS: Herbert John Maggs - Lord Mayor 1934
Miles: William Henry Miles was born about 1831 and served as Bristol Sheriff in 1866. he was a partner in the Miles Bank (1854 - 1877 and continued as such when it was succeeded by the old Bank (1877 - 1888). He died on 15th January 1888 "by taking cold when driving home to Ham Green".
here was a memorial to Sir John Knight in Temple Church - in the north wall of the chancel there was a long Latin inscription to members of his family. (source Arrowsmith's Dictionary of Bristol 1884)
MOORE: Frank Moore - Lord Mayor 1925
Naish: William Naish was born about 1806. He was Mayor of Bristol in 1856 and died 29th July 1875. "He came of an old Quaker family, by whom he was looked upon as a backslider, when he introduced a piano and musical parties in his house at Redland". (Bristol Worthies 2nd Series 1909)
Parker: Timothy Parker was Sheriff in 1659/60. He was apprenticed to John Sneed and was made a Burgess on 16th May 1644. He was a Linen Draper. In his will in 1681 he left £10 to the parish of St Nicholas and £5 to the parish of St Philip & Jacob for the distribution of bread to the poor.
Phippen: Robert Phippen was born about 1801 at Church House Bedminster where he lived all his life. He was a solicitor and Mayor of Bristol in 1840, he later served two terms as Sheriff of Bristol in 1854 and 1868. He died in 5th July 1869 at a dinner party at Cote Hill, the residence of the then Mayor Francis Adams.
Pinney: Charles Pinney (1793 - 1867) has been described as an amiable worthy gentleman (Bristol Worthies, by A B Freeman 1907) but his main claim to fame is that he happened to be Mayor during the Bristol Riots of 1831 and is reported to have escaped from the Mansion House (then in Queen Square) in female attire.
POOLE: James Poole Mayor Bristol 1858
Pope: John Pope was Sheriff in 1653/4 he was also elected Mayor in 1663 but he declined. He was the son of Michael Pope, a soap maker to whom he was apprenticed on 27th October 1630 then made a Burgess on 15th december 1637. He died on 11th February 1667 aged 51 and was buried in St Thomas' church
PROCTOR: Thomas Proctor (1811-1876) was never Mayor but he would have been if he had not died. However, there is a bust of him in the Mansion House (the Lord Mayors official residence in Bristol) because he built Elmdale House for himself and then offered it as a free gift to the City of Bristol to be dedicated to the use of the Mayor. His monument can be seen in Arnos Vale Cemetery.
ROBINSON: Edward Robinson - Lord Mayor 1908
Robinson: Elisha Smith Robinson was born in 1815 and lived in Tewkesbury where his father ran a paper mill. He moved to Bristol in 1844 and set up a business making paper bags. In partnership with Alfred Robinson the business expanded and by the 1860's the firm or E.S. & A. Robinson was well established in Bristol. Elisha was Mayor in 1866. He was president of the Grateful Society in 1880. He died in 1885. His monument can be seen at Arnos Vale Cemetery.
SAVILE: Col. Henry Bourchier Osborne Savile - Sheriff 1883. His monument can be seen at Arnos Vale Cemetery.
SENINGTON: Alfred Arthur Senington - Lord Mayor 1923
Shaw: John George Shaw (1804 - 1876) was Mayor of Bristol in 1853 and 1854 when his sister Mrs O'Brian acted as Lady Mayoress as he had been left a widower with two sons and three daughters (who were not old enough) . He was originally from Ireland and was a partner in the firm Cox & Shaw, soap manufacturers.
SMITH: Alfred John Smith was a ship owner and coal merchant. He became a Bristol councillor in 1898 (he had also represented Bedminster on Somerset county council). He served as Lord Mayor in 1905/6. He died on 12th March 1920. His monument can be seen at Arnos Vale Cemetery.
Smith: William Smith was born about 1825. He was a 'colonial broker' and served as Sheriff of Bristol in 1876. He died on 16th February 1900 at his residence, Sundon House, Clifton Down. "He was known amongst his intimates as 'Garibaldi Smith', from a fancied appearance to the Italian patriot" (Bristol Worthies 2nd Series, 1909)
STEVENS: Joseph Weston Stevens - Sheriff 1902
Stone: John. There was a monument to him in Temple Church indicating that he was Mayor three times and married four wives. He died 24thj June 1575 (source Arrowsmith's Dictionary of Bristol 1884)
Swaish: Sir John Swaish was knighted in 1920. He had founded a local pawn broking business in Bristol. He became a Bristol councillor in 1890 and an alderman in 1906 then served as Lord Mayor 1913/14. He died on 19th January 1931. He is buried at Canford Cemetery.
SYMES: Sir Robert Henry Symes (1837 - 1908) was educated at Taunton. He bcame Sheriff in 1887 and was appointed a JP in 1889. He served a total of six times as Mayor and Lord Mayor (1893,94,95,96, 1902 & 03) and became an Alderman in 1895. He was knighted at Osborne House in January 1898 and died in 1908 at the age of 71.
Titley: William Alfred Titley (1851 - 1934) was a Bristol Councillor from 1908 to 1919 in which year he was sheriff. He was a wholesale provisions merchant. He died on 11th March 1934 at Wynton Lodge, Durdham Park, Bristol.
THOMAS: Christopher James Thomas (1808 - 1894) was the first Mayor to occupy the Mansion House after it was gifted to Bristol by Thomas Proctor. Both are buried in Arnos Vale Cemetery
TODD: William Ansell Todd - Sheriff 1895
TWIGGS: Henry William Twiggs (1856-1932) was Lord Mayor in 1918. He was a Liberal councillor and manufacturer of prams. He died on 14th January 1932 (ref': Pat Hase)
Vassall: Robert Lowe Grant Vassall (1830 - 1913) was Sheriff in 1879. For a number of years he lived at Oldbury Court, near Bristol and enjoed hunting. He worked as the head of a firm of Bristol solicitors and he was also Chairman of the Taff Vale Railway Company.
Vickris: Robert Vickris was Sheriff in 1656/7, he was also Master of the Merchant Venturers in 1669/70 and Treasurer 1656/7. He was the son of Robert Vickris of Bewdley in Worcestershire, 'gentleman'; apprenticed to Thomas Jackson on 1st August 1637, serving his apprenticeship as an Ironmonger and he was made a Burgess on 10th November 1648.
Vining: John Vining was born about 1785. He was Mayor of Bristol 1855 and 1856 and was in the sugar trade. He was also part owner of Brunel's ship the Great Western. he died on 26th September 1866.
WAIT: William Killigrew Wait (1826-1902). His father was W.K Wait, Alderman and Sheriff of Bristol in 1837. He became a town councillor in 1867 and was appointed Mayor in 1869. He became an Alderman in 1886 but resigned in 1891.
Walker: Horace Walker was chairman of H.J. Packer & Co. Ltd. He was a Bristol councillor from 1921 to 1927 and sheriff in 1922. He died in April 1930.
Wathen: Charles Wathen was a wool merchant and he was Mayor of Bristol no less than six times. He was president of the Grateful Society in 1888. His monument can be seen at Arnos Vale Cemetery
Wise: Thomas James Wise (1870 - 1945) was Lord Mayor in 1932. His grave is in Arnos Vale Cemetery
WESTON: Joseph Weston was born in Kingsdown, Bristol in 1822, the son a Redcliff iron merchant. His family were also ship owners. he was May or Bristol no less than four times and he was also a local MP. The many things he worked for which helped the prosperity of his fellow citizens, included the introduction of a public library service and the purchase and development of the Portishead and Avonmouth docks. He died in 1895. His monument can be seen at Arnos Vale Cemetery
Whitson: Christopher Whitson was Sheriff in 1613/4 and Mayor in 1626/7. He was the son of Henry Whitson of Newland in Gloucestershire and was apprenticed as a mercer to Christopher Woodward on 10th October 1570 then made a Burgess on 15th April 1577. Deeds in the Corporation archives show that he owned land at Charleton in the parish of Henbury. he died in May 1638.
WHITSON: John Whitson was the founder of Red Maids School in Bristol. He is buried in the Crypt of St Nicholas church.
WILLS: Charles Wills - Sheriff 1898
WILLS: Frank Wills - Lord Mayor 1911
Winchester: William Albert Winchester was Lord Mayor in 1938/9. He died on 27th September 1941 and his grave is in Arnos Vale Cemetery, Bristol.
Wright: John Wright was Sheriff in 1662/3. He was a merchant son of Ralph Wright, a linen draper and he was made a Burgess on 5th November 1642. He died September 1672
Yate: Robert Yate was Sheriff in 1648/9. he was also Master of the Merchant Venturers 1656/7 and Treasurer 1649/50. He was made a Burgess on 30th October 1639 because he married Mary, the daughter of William Cann who was Mayor in the same year that Robert was Sheriff (see above). He died in 1682.
Yeamans: Robert Yeamans was Sheriff in 1662/3 and Mayor in 1669/70. He was also Master of the Merchant Venturers 1662/3 and Knighted in 1663. He was the son of John Yeamans, a brewer, and was made a Burgess on 11th November 1643. He died in 1686/7 and was buried in St Mary Redcliffe church. He gave £50 to the parish of St Mary Redcliffe, the profits of which were to be distributed amongst the poor.
|Many of these historical notes were taken from pamphlets published by the Bristol Branch of the Historical Association. Some of these interesting pamphlets may be purchased from the Bristol Museum Shop. Other sources are - 'Bristol Biographies 1898', 'Notable Bristolians 1931-32', 'At the Port of Bristol Vols. I & II' by W.G. Neale and The Deposition Books of Bristol Vol. II 1650-54 Bristol Records Society Vol. XIII.|
Return to Mayors Page